Busy Weekend!

Hey everyone!  We had a busy weekend and I wanted to update you all on some of the highlights.  On Friday afternoon, Zev went to the vet for his scheduled bandage change.  Here is the “after” shot:



He got his stitches out, so there is no need for the annoying bandages anymore!  Yippee!  The surgery site is healing well, and we were in and out of the office in just a few minutes (and without having to pay anything, which was also nice!).  We are supposed to limit his activity still and keep the site dry, but otherwise he should be all set and doesn’t need to be seen again at the office unless we have any concerns.  I sincerely hope we don’t see the office again until right before our move for their health certificates!

After his vet visit, we took a ride up to our nearest Petco to pick up some supplies.  I let him come inside with me for a short stroll, and we had a good trip.  He even made friends with a little dog in the store!  Having Lexi as a sister has really helped him to become more dog-social.  I know I write all the time how Zev helps to calm her and give her confidence, but she also has a positive effect on him!  They are really good complements of each other, and we all learn and grow from each other every day.

Speaking of Lexi, her paws are doing well and I am convinced she has filled out a bit in the last week weight-wise.  I have been giving her extra protein every day, usually in a “lunch time” meal, and while I have not weighed her yet I think she is looking a tad bit beefier.  I know it might take time to put a few pounds on her, but I think we are on the right track.  We are still experiencing some of the unpleasant effects of prednisone, but she is now on 10 mg instead of the 20 we started on and the effects have been steadily lessening.  We will continue to wean her down to 5 mg, where she will stay for a few more weeks before coming off it, hopefully for good!

Meanwhile, Lexi and Zev enjoyed some sunbathing on our deck this weekend, per usual:








On Saturday, Zev’s travel crate arrived in a HUGE box to my parents’ house!  This crate is the largest size allowed by Alaska Air, and thankfully it is plenty large enough for Zev.  Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, it is the Petmate Ultra Vari kennel.







Once I assembled the crate, Lexi strolled in and out several times without an issue.  She is comfortable in it already, and we will be ordering her crate within the next few weeks.  She should fit comfortably in a crate the next size down from Zev’s.

Zev, however, was not a fan of the crate.  He was crated as a puppy in an all-wire crate and did fine with it, but it took some convincing to get him into this plastic crate.  Good thing he is totally food-motivated and will follow treats into it!

hiding behind the box...

hiding behind the box…

We will work with him over the next few months to make sure he is comfortable in the crate.  A common piece of advice I have gotten from other people who have flown with dogs is to make sure it is a comfortable place for them well before the flight.  Our vet also recommended putting a shirt or similar item that smells like us in the crate with each dog, and also forego feeding them the morning of the flight to keep tummy troubles at a minimum.  Does anyone have any other suggestions for making the flight as stress-free as possible?  I think have taken all the steps I can – we will fly nonstop, early in the morning, and on an airline with a pressurized and temperature-controlled cargo hold for pets – but I am still nervous about the flight!  I personally LOVE flying – I think it is a blast – but I know it will most likely be less of a fun experience for the dogs.  I keep telling myself that it will be over in about 5 and a half hours, which really isn’t too bad, and then we will be in one of the most beautiful places, all together!

Well, that’s it for us tonight.  Stay tuned this week for another important step in the moving process!  Hugs and kisses from Lexi and Zev!


3 thoughts on “Busy Weekend!

    • It wasn’t for the first few months after the decision was made, but now it is flying by! I can’t believe we’re leaving in about 2 months from now!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s